Ms. Morin took a moment to speak with me regarding the legalities of copyrighting, trademarking, and LLC or Inc. a company! I hope you enjoy.
If you could, please give a brief intro about who you are, how long you've been practicing and what your specialty is pertaining to law!
1. Would you recommend an up and coming artist or group that wants to brand their name to become an LLC or Inc? What are the reasons behind your choice?
2. Should a group or artist Trademark their name? Why or why not?
4. Is it expensive to register a Trademark in the State of Georgia? How much should one budget?
5. What can an artist or artist manager copyright? Ex: Can a name, song, or agreement be copyrighted?
6. Would you advise someone to use companies such as Legal Zoom to obtain an LLC, Inc, or Trademark? What steps should they take instead?
7. Should everyone seek legal advice or have an attorney compose documents for the LLC, Inc., or Trademark? Can it be done on your own?
8. What is an operational agreement and is it needed for any of these entities?
9. What advice would you give an up and coming artist that wants to brand their name and protect it? Where should they start?
10. Are your services available to up and coming artists? If so, where can they reach you at and is there a starting amount that should be budgeted for your services?
*** Warning: the above post reflects the opinion of the author using general legal principles. The contents shall not be considered legal advice or the formation of attorney and client relationship. The reader is highly encouraged to seek the advice of a legal professional in his/her own area for advice on specific facts.